‘Civil construction’ is a term that is bandied about in engineering circles quite frequently. It’s only been in the last few years that the general population has started becoming acquainted with the term. In the case of civil construction, the exact idea of what it could mean can actually be a little objective.
Not Such An Abstract Idea
It turns out that if you have interacted with the world around you by walking or driving somewhere, then you’ve had a personal connection with the products of civil construction. The roads you travel, the bridges you cross, and other large-scale projects are at its heart. Major industries like oil & gas also depend on the expertise of civil construction firms to provide up-, mid-, and downstream solutions while also maintaining a keen lock on environmental and budgetary standards.
A Wide Scope
Here are a few things to know:
– civil construction can be both basic and heavy-duty. Projects can include public buildings and other city structures. The bigger, heavier stuff can encompass the aforementioned bridges & roadways, as well as rail systems, wastewater treatment plants, dams, and levee building.
– the scope of these projects is so much more than just the physical work. Individuals in the field are well-respected & highly educated engineers with an ability to look at a prospective worksite as more than just a patch of land. They are able to put together detailed project designs while also ensuring the structural stability & longevity of the project itself.
– a central theme to civil construction is the relationship of people to the world around them. However, nothing proves to be as essential as the need for folks in the industry to embrace the newest technology. This means advances in surveying tech, earthworks machinery, and mobile communication tools all prove to be key elements of any successful project.
– upholding a core value like safety is crucial to civil construction. Both financial & personnel resources are dedicated to this end. Not only is the safety of people top of mind, but environmental responsibilities reign supreme. Local, state, and federal standards & regulations are met, though the goal is always to exceed these when possible.
Civil Construction in the World
Generalities aside, civil construction takes on an array of projects that span a number of industries. For example:
- Earthworks such as mass excavation & site grading
- Oil and Gas Processes with respect to upstream/midstream/downstream services
- Engineering and design of major energy projects
- Greenfield and Brownfield Projects
- Pipeline Fabrication, Maintenance, and Removal
- Roustabout Services such as new well facilities & gas lift systems
- Flowback and Well Testing
- Environmental Remediation
- Public Works
Much has been made about what’s at the ‘heart’ of civil construction. In short, the core of the field is human interaction with infrastructure. As the world grows & the demands of the public grow with it, projects aimed at making life easier need to meet these demands in the present but always have an eye towards the future. It is a matter of attaining synergy. The best civil construction firms understand this & consistently put it into practice.
With as wide an umbrella as civil construction has, getting a firm knowledgeable about all aspects of it on your side is a major boon to your success. Contact us here at CCI Culberson Engineering & Construction for help on your next project.